Treat Your Eye Defects with LASIK Eye Surgery
Category : Health
Trying to decide on something as crucial as an eye surgery is not easy. It is a preconceived notion that eye surgeries are stressful and extremely painful. When, in fact, they have become safer and quicker procedures with great results over time. One sure-fire procedure which has been a breakthrough in the field of eye treatments is LASIK eye surgery.
LASIK eye surgery, or “laser-assisted in-situ keratomileuses,” is probably the most commonly performed eye surgery to treat myopia (near-sightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism. The corrective surgery is done by creating and folding a thin flap in the eye so that the tissue below can be remodelled with a laser. It eliminates the dependency of the patients on their reading glasses and contact lenses. LASIK is much safer than wearing contact lenses since lenses have their disadvantages as well. Wearing contact lenses can cause eye-infections, dry eye and allergies if not taken care of properly. The LASIK surgeon can also remove cataracts and replace them with artificial lenses. It is a pain-free refractive surgery that helps in correcting various vision deficiencies. You can be assured of clear vision post-surgery.
6 Advantages of LASIK
- Quick and Pain-Free – LASIK is neither a painful surgery nor is it a lengthy procedure. It is quick and is completed in just few minutes. You may experience mild discomfort, flash and dry eyes for a period of two days after which your vision will become clear.
- Cost-Efficient in the Long Run – When you consider LASIK you are not only gifting yourself a clear vision but saving in the long term. This is because you would not be spending on prescriptions, broken frames, contact lenses and solution etc. The cost of these adds up over the years and can all be avoided with LASIK.
- It is Permanent – It is a permanent procedure and has a very low percentage of a follow-up procedure called a LASIK enhancementwhich is usually performed to restore clear vision. The LASIK procedure is safe, with no long-term complications.
- Eliminates Eyeglasses and Contact Lenses – LASIK is exclusively done on people who suffer from myopia(near-sightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism. This surgery is a boon for them as it eliminates the use of eyeglasses and contact lenses as they can see clearly after it.
- Safe Procedure – According to the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery LASIK has an incredible success rate with 96% of patients achieving 20/20 vision or even better. It has insignificant surgical risks.
- Speedy Visual Recovery – Patients recover immediately after their surgery. There are no bandages or stitches which helps them revive quickly. They can resume their normal schedule within 24 hours of their surgery.
LASIK is one of the most popular choices today for permanent and painless vision correction. Though it is a safe treatment you should consult an ophthalmologist to check the degree of astigmatism, the health of your retina and cornea in your lifestyle.
Consult your family ophthalmologist or an experienced surgeon for LASIK. Make sure you tell the surgeon your medical history. Talking to your eye care professional will help you get more information on how to correct your vision permanently. LASIK can be your most convenient way to seeing clearly.
Aaron Barriga works at Insight Vision Center, an Ophthalmology Center in California as their Head of Digital Marketing, and writes about eye health related topics to help readers with their vision problems. He also loves to learn about new advances in eye and LASIK care and report his learnings back to his readers. He loves to travel to new places and has a unique hobby of collecting coasters from the various bars and restaurants all over the world.