VICODIN – USAGE & SIDE EFFECTS
Category : General
Vicodin, among many others medication in it’s category, is a trade name or a brand name for acetaminophen or paracetamol or APAP. It is the combination of hydrocodone, which is an opioid pain medication, and the well-known paracetamol (also known as the acetaminophen). It is readily available in the market as tablets and elixirs. Moreover, you can get it in form of a solution for the oral use. But the strength varies according to the medicine. However, here we are discussing the Vicodin side effects.
Usage of Vicodin:
Vicodin is one of those medicines that can be purchased over-the-counter quite easily as compared to other prescribed medication. This ease of purchase is a major factor in the increased usage of the medicine
Hydrocodone/acetaminophen is a formula. When you combine the opioid hydrocodone along with a non-opioid analgesic such as acetaminophen, you get this medicine.
It is usually prescribed for the relief of post-operative, acute or even chronic types of pain ranging from moderate to severe in nature.
It is said that even the most harmless of the things ever found can prove to be a threat is misused or abused. The opioid nature of Vicodin makes it vulnerable to be misused and cause a great health concern.
Side Effects of Vicodin:
Medical science’s advancement over the last century is indeed commendable but still after all this time, every medicine that has been invented, has not been known to heal and cure without having any other affects on the human body. These effects are called as the side-affects.
Like every other medicine, here are possible side effects for Vicodin:
Most Common Side-Effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting.
Symptoms if Rare/Uncommon Side-Effects:
- Dermatological effects consist of appearance of a rash or itching on any part of the body.
- Respiratory tract problems like having difficulty in breathing due to in adequate breaths.
- Hearing impairment has been reported leading to permanent hearing loss.
- Gastrointestinal System is affected leading patients to chronic constipation.
- Genitourinary system is affected leading to inability to urinate and possible bladder spasm.
- Few cases have been reported where the central nervous system has been affected by continuing usage of the medicine.
- Confusion, fussiness
- Feeling of unease and restlessness
- Mood swings
- Psychic dependency
- Some extent of physical and even mental impairment has been witnessed in some cases.
- Liver function was also found to be adversely affected.
The medicine’s vulnerable opioid nature has shown to be used for Entertainment purposes. The younger generation has been using prescription medications for purposes other than that of just easing the pain. Patients have been found to take these pills in much greater quantities that exceeded the safe barrier of 4000 mgs per day for euphoric purposes. These practices lead to critical damage to the liver and also leading to coma, respiratory depression, slow heart rate, low blood pressure and other symptoms like these.
Above, you can find information regarding Vicodin side effects. No wonder why every medication promotion ends in a note emphasizing on the need to be careful with it’s usage and also to use only if it’s advised and prescribed by your physician. Medicines are here to help but their usage is all in our hands – whether to heal us or otherwise.