While most people aren’t usually aware, most prefer side sleeping over any other sleeping position. Having a suitable pillow is essential for side sleepers to get the necessary support and cushioning for a good night’s sleep. Side sleepers will usually need thicker pillows to fill the space below the neck and the head. Thin pillows can affect the spinal alignment and give more pressure points.
If you’re a side sleeper, you need to get one too. Here, we have come up with a list of the best pillow for neck pain side sleepers. Let’s have a look.
10 Best Pillows for Side Sleeper
How do you select the best side sleeper pillow for neck pain with so many options to choose from? Here are some of the best options for pillows if you’re a side sleeper.
Sealy essentials cool and comfort reversible cooling pillow supports an ultra-supportive memory foam with one-side cooling technology to offer the ideal balance for side sleeping. One side remains cool while the other is neutral. It supports a reactive cooling technology that keeps you cool by reacting with your body temperature.
The medium-firm feel of this cooling pillow makes it ideal for side and back sleepers, offering sufficient support for the neck and the head. The mesh, easy-care cover improves the cooling and breathability of the pillow. The cover can be easily machine washed and dried.
- One-side cooling and one side temperature neutral for complete comfort
- Standard size for comfortable side sleeping
- Medium-firmness responds to your body’s shape
- Easily machine washed and dried cover
- A firm and a soft side to match your preferences
- Both sides of the pillow offer optimal support
- It gets a little warm during use
Tempur-pedic Tempur-cloud pillow for sleeping is made from 100% polyester making it comfortable for side sleeping. This memory foam bed pillow has a low profile and soft material making it best for all sleepers, even side sleepers. This pillow will fit perfectly in all queen or standard pillowcases. The TEMPUR material is pressure-relieving and adapts to your neck, shoulders, and head, offering complete comfort.
The extra-soft pillow feel offers restful sleep in all sleeping positions, including side, back, and stomach sleepers. Made from adaptive and reliable material, the pillow returns to its usual position after every use, offering complete alignment and support each year. It can easily be compressed for portability if you want to travel with it.
- Made from 100% polyester
- Cushion-soft and low profile fit for all sleepers
- Pressure-relieving TEMPUR material fits the neck, shoulders, and head for superior comfort
- Very soft feel for extra comfort
- Adaptive material that returns to its position after use
- Easily compressed for traveling
- Offers less support
This is the best pillow for back pain side sleeper because it supports a SensorPEDIC Temperature regulating coolest memory foam bed pillow is made from 100% polyester. Infused with cooling gel, the memory foam gives you just the right pressure-relieving, therapeutic comfort and support throughout the night for side sleepers. With this pillow’s breathable fabric cover and memory foam that offers ventilation, this pillow allows maximum airflow for long-lasting comfort.
The amazing Fabric Coolest Comfort technology helps to restore breathability, and its moisture-wicking system offers perfect temperature regulation and comfort. Enjoy an extra layer of comfort and softness with its fabric circular-knit polyester cover. The contour design and medium support make this the best option for side sleepers because it offers your body support and comfort. The oversized design and its medium support make it best for all sleeping styles.
- Made from quality 100% polyester
- Memory foam and cooling gel-infused offering pressure-relieving, therapeutic support
- Ventilated pillow memory foam and breathable fabric offer lasting comfort
- The fabric circular-knit polyester cover offers extra smoothness
- Soft pillow, not very firm
Weekender memory foam ventilated gel pillow has a soft yet supportive memory foam certified by CertiPUR US that offers excellent comfort and pressure relief. The Weekender memory foam pillow is infused with a gel for temperature regulation to provide more convenience to side sleepers. The ventilated design of the pillow, along with its pin core technology, maximizes the air circulation to your body and the cooling side helps to disperse body heat.
With three different sizes to select from and its mid-loft and comfortable design, this pillow is suited for the stomach, back, and side sleepers. The ultra-soft cover is removable and ensures quality even when washed several times to give a fresh experience each night.
- Unique, ventilated design with pin core technology to optimize air circulation
- Three different sizes to select from
- Mid-loft and comfortable pillow suitable for side sleepers
- Ultra-soft removable cover, easy to wash
- Temperature-regulated gel for comfortable sleeping
- Firmer than usual down and down alternative options
- Not enough neck support
5. Sealy Molded Memory Foam Pillow
Sealy Molded memory foam pillow is the best pillow for hip pain side sleepers because it offers an outstanding balance, support, and comfort for a good night’s sleep. Sealy Molded Memory Foam Pillow is a standard-sized pillow with premium, pressure-relieving memory foam, adapting to your body shape for ultimate neck and head comfort. The plush knit cover offers superior comfort and can easily be unzipped for washing in the machine.
The standard size of the Sealy molded pillow makes it suitable for everyone, and the premium memory foam is designed to adjust to your unique body shape.
- Premium memory foam adapts to your body shape
- Standard size pillow to meet everyone’s needs
- Pressure-relieving memory foam gives ideal neck and head support
- The easy-care cover can be removed for machine washing
- Plush-knit cover offers an added layer of comfort
- It offers extra cooling and comfort for side sleepers
- The pillow is a little thicker than others
Coop home goods loft pillow is also a great option for side sleepers because it is made from 60% polyester and 40% bamboo-viscose rayon, offering complete comfort and restful sleep. This amazingly adjustable pillow can be customized to your preference, allowing the perfect balance between comfort and support to be achieved.
Coop home goods’ original loft pillow offers a unique, adjustable design filled with memory foam that can be added or removed to suit your size and comfort. Coop home pillows are guard gold certified, undergoing strict lab testing to ensure quality and safety. Made with the highest-quality Lulltra fabric, softness and breathability are a plus as you get the sleep you need for a new day.
- Made from 40% bamboo-derived viscose rayon and 60% polyester
- An adjustable pillow that can be customized to the correct size
- Memory foam fill can be added or removed as needed
- 100% safety guaranteed
- The highest quality lulltra fabric offers softness and breathability
- ½ lb bad included for achieving higher loft
- A little lumpy
Cozinoor bed pillows offer just the perfect balance you need between support and softness, being the best pillow for shoulder pain side sleeper. These pillows are filled with plush hollow fiber that offers excellent compensation and amazing softness. The stitching band design makes sure that the pillow holds its shape and doesn’t flatten with time. The plush fiber shell gives the pillow a smooth and soft finish so you can enjoy a restful sleep.
The pillowcase is made from a polyester blend, making it skin-friendly and breathable. This Cozinoor bed pillow won’t ever shift or become flat whether you’re a back sleeper or a side sleeper. These pillows are machine washable at 30 degrees, so you can always wash them quickly to get fresh pillows.
- Skin-friendly and breathable fabric
- Premium, plush, breathable cover for comfortable sleep
- Durable and sturdy to maintain shape and avoid filling leak
- Filled with plush hollow fiber, achieving a balance between softness and firmness
- No-shift construction
- Machine washable at 30 degrees
- Extra soft
AytraHome Indulgence by Isontonic Side Sleeper Pillow is made with 100% cotton giving you the softness you need for a perfect sleep. Unlike other pillows, this one has a high thread count offering great comfort and ease for side sleepers. A rectangular-shaped pillow is filled with down-alternative and is suitable for side sleepers. The fluffiness and softness make this pillow a suitable choice for most people. The outer pillow has a thread count of 500 with an inner thread count of 200. Made from 100% cotton, the AytraHome Indulgence side sleeper, Queen/Standard pillow, is suitable for everyone.
- Made from 100% cotton, filled with down alternative material
- High thread count for superior comfort
- 500 outer thread count, 200 inner thread count
- Soft and fluffy for a restful night’s sleep
- Overfilled, making it suitable for side sleepers
- A little on the expensive side
Downluxe king size down, an alternative set of two pillows, is the best pillow for neck pain side sleeper on amazon as it offers you just the right amount of comfort and ease needed for a good night’s sleep. The polyester and bamboo blend fiber maintains softness and support, while the 100% cotton cover gives great comfort and breathability. The edge piping gives it a neat, tailored look. The pillows are Oeko-Tex certified and eco-friendly.
Downluxe king pillows offer the soft comfort you need without compromising quality, thereby being suitable for side, stomach, and back sleepers. The pillows are also machine washable, making them easy to clean, manage, and remain in good shape even after being used.
- Great balance of support and softness
- 100% cotton cover offers breathability, durability, and comfort
- Offer softness, suitable for all sleepers
- Easy to wash, clean, and manage
- Pillow fluff stays in good shape even after use
- It may be hard and firm for some people
Diamond elegant bed pillows are designed with siliconized, high-quality microfiber filling with 100% cotton for supreme comfort. These pillows are smartly designed for softness and durability and come in two pairs. This soft, comfortable, and high-quality pillows are available at a reasonable price. Microfiber filling is siliconized, which helps to prevent fiber migration or clumping, ensuring maximum comfort and ease.
The diamond-embossed cover offers just the right amount of softness, smoothness, and longevity. These pillows are machine washable because of microfiber filling to keep them soft after each wash. The hotel-standard pillows are designed to match the shape of your neck, keeping it at ease and free from pain.
- Made from cotton, offering softness and comfort
- Micro-fiber filling offers great lift and balance for good sleep
- Siliconized microfiber prevents fiber migration and clumping
- The embossed cotton fabric ensures the right amount of softness and smoothness
- Machine washable
- Good-quality pillows that are hotel-standard offer neck support to reduce pain
- The pillows are a little thick
The Benefits of Side Sleeping
Side sleeping tends to be the common position for most people, and it offers several benefits. Side sleeping can help in minimizing snoring as your airways are kept open. Back sleepers are more likely to snore because of airway obstruction. Moreover, people who suffer from acid reflux or sleep apnea may also benefit from side sleeping for the same reason. In pregnancy, women tend to feel more comfortable when sleeping on the side.
Side sleeping also helps align our spine, thereby reducing discomfort to the hips, shoulders, and other pressure point areas. This, however, also depends on your mattress and pillow that should offer enough support for aligning your neck, head, shoulders, hips, and lower back.
So, whether you believe it or not, side sleeping has exceptional health benefits. Lying on your side keeps your airways open, reducing the risks of snoring and acid reflux. Moreover, it can also mitigate back pain issues, leading to improved sleep.
How to Choose the Best Pillow for Side Sleeper
What is the best pillow for side sleeper with so many options out there? The best pillow for a side sleeper will offer just the proper support and cushioning for your neck and head. Here are some things you need to look out for.
The best pillow for a side sleeper should have an even surface with enough support for your neck and head. You wouldn’t want a pillow that sinks too much or raises your head too high. Latex cores and solid foam pillows usually offer the best support.
2. Loft 1
Thickness or loft is one of the most important things to look for in a pillow for side sleeping. Most side sleepers prefer medium to high loft pillows to get enough cushioning without sinking low. If your preferences for loft vary, you may want a pillow with an adjustable loft level.
3. Level of Firmness
A too-soft pillow will sink your head too low, and one too firm will give you much discomfort around the shoulders and the neck. Pillows offering mid-level firmness are mostly the most suited for side sleepers as they provide a blend of support and contouring.
Some pillow filler materials compress, making the pillow flat and uncomfortable. These need to be stuffed again for a full shape. Latex and solid foam are the best in maintaining their body with little effort.
The materials used to make inner components and cover of the pillow also vary and affect the shape retention, temperature, and durability, so you may want to get a pillow designed with high-quality materials.
The price, of course, depends on the materials used. Polyfoam, feather, and down alternative material pillows have lower price points, while latex, memory foam, buckwheat hulls, and down are expensive.
Breathable pillows are a must for all sleepers. However, hot sleepers may want to get gel-infused memory foam or latex material pillows that let you sleep cool. You may also want to get pillows with covers designed to encourage airflow.
If you’re uncertain what is the best pillow for a side sleeper, we have compiled a list of the best options for you above. Assuming you’re a side sleeper because most people are, we hope this article has given you what you needed. Side sleeping tends to have several benefits like the ones mentioned above, but it may be hard to get a good sleep without the right bedding or pillow. Look at our list of the best pillows for side sleepers above and select the one that meets your needs best. Who knows? A perfect pillow for side sleeping may just be what you need to get that perfect night’s sleep!
A fervent champion for holistic well-being, graces this community with her expertise in health and fitness. With a solid educational foundation in physical fitness and a commitment to empowering others, Sara distills her extensive knowledge and experience into actionable insights. Her writing, firmly grounded in evidence-based practices, aims to demystify health complexities and inspire readers to cultivate sustainable habits for a balanced life. As a certified fitness trainer, Sara offers a well-rounded perspective on wellness. Join Sara on this transformative journey towards a happier, healthier, and more vibrant you.