Newborn babies are prone to a lot of things. They are very sensitive and can get ill very easily. The main reason for that is that their immune system is not yet developed strongly and proper care is needed to prevent any diseases in them. However, some basic illnesses that occur in babies can be easily cured.
Baby Chapped Lips is a Common Thing
One of the most things that happen in babies is chapped lips. Baby chapped lips are just like chapped lips of grownups but because they can take care of themselves therefore that is not such a big deal. But small babies need to be taken care of therefore their chapped lips should be taken seriously.
Signs of Chapped Lips in Newborn
- Sore or dry lips
- Darkening of skin around the lips.
- Appearance of cracked lips.
- Bleeding cracks on lips.
- Dryness of lips is felt when touched.
What Causes Chapped Lips in Babies?
- Licking of Lips
- Sensitive skin
- Skin Shedding
- Medicine’s Side effect
Are Chapped Lips Dangerous For Babies?
Chapped lips can be uncomfortable and itchy for babies. Most of the time they are not anything to worry about. They usually appear in the form of dryness and cracks on the baby’s lips. They are not dangerous but try to get rid of them as soon as possible because they can cause itchiness and irritation on the lips.
Because although baby chapped lips only cause a bit of discomfort, if they are allowed for longer times they can lead to allergies and other serious issues.
Sometimes babies’ chapped lips can attain a form called chronic chapped lips. This shows a deficiency of other vitamins and an excess of Vitamin A which is often ingested by cereals. Consulting a doctor is the best thing to do In this case.
Babies’ Chapped Lips Remedy
Following are some ways through which you can get rid of babies’ chapped lips:
- If the baby is a newborn, breast milk is the best thing that can cure the babies’ lips naturally. You can apply the milk with your finger on your babies’ lips. It will protect the lips against bacteria and heal the skin.
- There are lip balms and nipple creams available that are specially made for babies to treat their chapped lips. They are often very high-quality, made from natural ingredients, and cause no side effects. But don’t use them regularly, when the lips are alright stop using the lip balm.
- Lanolin can also be used to heal chapped lips. It is a waxy substance from sheep’s wool and cures cracks and smoothens the surface of the skin and can help in babies’ chapped lips as well.
- Olive and coconut oil are also a very good remedy to heal the lips and are natural without any side-effects, so they are a perfect natural remedy for your newborn baby’s chapped lips
Prevention of Babies’ Chapped Lips
As much as they are common, with proper care, the chapped lips in babies can also be prevented but certain precautions are necessary.
- Extreme weather conditions especially extreme cold can cause chapped lips. In such weather keep the baby well wrapped and use a humidifier in the room to keep the room humid.
- Keep the baby hydrated as dehydration can cause chapped lips too.
- Try to keep the baby away from the sun or sharp winds and keep his lips well-packed with a breathable fabric while going outside so the environmental factors don’t affect him.
Remember that prevention is always better than a cure. So, keep good and proper care of your babies. Because something as minor as chapped lips occur all the time and can be fatal for the babies as they are very sensitive.