No matter what prompted your keto journey, beginners embarking on this near-180° change in their eating habits are almost definitely overwhelmed. Despite its global popularity, keto diet foods are not readily available at supermarkets and convenience stores, not to mention the absence of keto-friendly eateries ruling out the option for takeouts. Keto kitchen gadgets offer a solution to newbies and seasoned pros alike to gain the benefits of a healthy homemade keto diet while cutting down the time for meal prep. These gadgets help pave an easy transition to a completely different cooking style than the norm.
What Is The Keto Diet, And What Are Its Health Benefits?
The goal of the ketogenic or keto diet is to consume high fat, moderate protein, and low carb amount in your daily diet. It involves the consumption of healthy fats from fatty fish, olive oil, nuts, and seeds and replacing common carbohydrate-rich foods like pasta with low-carb alternatives. This diet is not just a trend but linked by research to a lowered risk of type 2 diabetes, weight loss, and long-lasting energy levels.
Keto Kitchen Gadgets to Take Your Keto Game to the Next Level
Adding a range of keto diet tools to your kitchen is a sure-fire way of adapting to the keto life. These tools help save time for people amongst the hustle-bustle of the busy life an average person leads nowadays. Some are average gadgets to help with meal prep and bulk storage, while others are made specifically for the keto diet. Whether you need to whip up quick meals or leave your meal cooking while you juggle your other responsibilities, these tools have got your back.
1. Chef’s Knife
A chef’s knife is one of the essential keto must-haves in the kitchen. Cooking healthy, homemade low-carb foods at home involves slicing, mincing, and julienning a variety of vegetables and fruits as well as cutting up meats, including significant cuts used for grillings and making steaks. Although a good investment, chef’s knives are pricier than other knives. Also, they are unsuitable for cutting delicate food items such as sashimi and seafood
- The sharpness of chef’s knives makes cutting in the kitchen a low-effort activity.
- Chef’s knives are built to be versatile and multipurpose in their functions.
- Chef’s knives slice cleanly through fruits and vegetables instead of crushing them, reducing nutritional loss from food.
2. Instant Pot
Instant Pot or multi-cookers are an excellent investment for your keto kitchen. They can replace many appliances in your kitchen, functioning as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, sauté, and food warmer. It is also suitable for frying, roasting, and steaming. Instant Pot is great for making keto recipes like braises, paleo beef brisket, slow-cooked soups and broths, and even cheesecakes!
However, Instant Pot is tedious to clean as it needs to be taken apart, which requires a certain level of mastery.
- Instant Pot’s multifunctionality makes it energy-efficient and saves storage space as well.
- It is suitable for people on a budget as it saves you from buying multiple kitchen appliances.
- It is good for cooking in big batches.
- They come with pre-programmed cooking times, making meal prep a breeze.
3. Rapid Egg Cookers
Being low-carb, high-fat, and protein-rich makes eggs the ideal food on your keto diet plan. However, if you can’t get the perfect eggs in your home kitchen, rapid egg cookers are about to become your best friend. Egg cookers can cook up to 6 eggs in just a few minutes, with options for boiled eggs (hard, medium, or soft), poached eggs, scrambled eggs, and omelets, with minimum mess.
However, instructions for the water levels are given for a specific number of eggs, a little experimentation is needed to find the best water level for making eggs in a number not provided in the instruction manual.
- It is very time-saving and efficient for big families as well for making eggs in big batches for meal prepping for people with hectic schedules.
- Egg cookers use less water than standard cooking methods.
- They are compact and lightweight, making them easy to handle and store.
- The egg cookers have removable trays that make them easy to clean.
Spiralizers are handy little devices that make the keto life easy for pasta lovers. Besides the famous zucchini noodles (or zoodles), butternut squash and broccoli stems can make keto-friendly pasta that holds most sauces. Other vegetables and fruits can be used to make your salads more textured and desserts as well. But High-quality spiralizers with multiple functions may be on the bulkier side making storage and handling slightly tricky.
- You can choose from various options, including manual and electric spiralizers, different sizes, and different blades according to your personal needs.
- Most spiralizers can be disassembled, and their components are dishwasher-safe.
- Spiralizers allow individual creativity in your low-carb pasta source, which is great if you’re tired of the zoodles commonly available in supermarkets.
5. Silicone Bakeware
Silicone is the perfect material for keto baking as its flexibility makes it suitable for a delicate keto dessert made of nut flours like almond flour. Essential silicone bakeware includes silicone baking mats and silicone muffin trays. Silicone mats are great for making roasted veggies, keto cookies, and fathead dough. Silicone muffin trays can make keto egg muffins, fat bombs, and freeze meals. Although silicone bakeware comes with varying firmness making some molds too wobbly for moving liquid cake batter to the oven. This increases the risk of spills and possibly burns with soft foods, this will not stay a problem once you get pro at using it.
- Silicone bakeware is durable and does not easily scratch with metal utensils.
- It is microwave-safe and can endure extreme temperatures making it ideal for baking and freezing.
- Silicone mats are reusable, making them a cost-effective and environment-friendly option.
- Silicone is easy to clean with soap and water and is dishwasher-safe.
- Silicone bakeware is multifunctional.
6. Reusable Oil Sprayer
Healthy fats in various oils make the foundation of the keto diet. Reusable oil sprayers make adding these healthy fats to your diet easy. They help to evenly coat veggies and meats for roasting and broiling, grease pans, and prevent food stains on plastic Tupperware. But the amount of oil sprayed out varies from brand to brand, so multiple pumps may be needed to adequately coat a food’s surface.
- Using reusable oil sprays saves money, and it is a one-time investment.
- This nifty gadget has the added benefit of letting you choose your preferred healthy oil like almond, avocado, or coconut oil which may not be available in spray bottles in the market, or vinegar and dressings to spritz over salad.
7. Stick Blender
Stick blenders make an efficient keto blender for the keto diet. They can be used to make homemade keto-friendly mayonnaise, salad dressings, smoothies with collagen powder, protein shakes, soups, tomato sauce, salsa, marinades, nut butter, and cheesecakes.
However, You need to hold the blender while it does its work. Also, stick blenders cannot bear hard items like ice and frozen fruits as they will damage the blades.
- Multiple attachments provide multiple functions, including grinding and whisking.
- Varying speed allows for control over texture and consistency.
- The blending wand containing the blades is detachable and easy to clean.
- Stick blenders can be used in any container of your choice, cutting down the time to shift from a blender’s pitcher to your desired container.
8. Milk Frother
Keto diet followers are constantly coming up with healthy, keto-friendly recipes for your favorite foods. You can quickly get your daily morning energy boost with coffee made with stevia and keto fats. A milk frother can add the oomph factor we crave, from Starbucks lattes to homemade coffee. Regular milk frothers are easy to clean but a few electrically operated milk frothers models do not have detachable wands, making clean-up difficult.
- Milk frothers are budget-friendly as they save the price of overpriced cafe coffee.
- They are user-friendly, only requiring the press of a button and an up and down motion to make a cup of perfectly frothy keto coffee.
- Milk frothers have smaller, portable options with chargeable batteries.
9. Digital Food Scale
The macronutrient distribution in ketogenic diets is about 5% carbohydrates, 20% proteins, and 75% fats. A digital food scale is a great way to monitor your food portions as you start keto dieting until you know the approximate serving sizes. The scale also helps to get precise measurements for keto baking, while using cups or spoons often causes variations due to heaping and levelling of ingredients.
- Digital food scales are uncomplicated and user-friendly, just requiring the user to subtract the weight of the container by placing the empty container on the scale and pressing the Tare button.
- This gadget easily allows you to weigh ingredients in different units like ounces, grams, and milliliters.
10. Food Huggers
Food huggers or food savers are reusable, round silicone lids that ‘hug’ foods to keep them fresh. They can be used in the keto diet to keep raw fruits and vegetables fresh for an extended period. A set of these colorful food huggers is one of the best keto gifts you can get your keto partner to motivate them.
But most food huggers in the market are too firm to properly seal on unevenly shaped fruits and vegetables or shapes with exaggerated sides like rectangles. So, it’s on you to check each before making a purchase.
- They are eco-friendly, as they are reusable and can replace cling wrap and plastic ziplock bags to keep foods fresh.
- They prevent food waste by preventing produce from going bad if not used quickly.
- A set of silicone food huggers is easy to store as they’re designed in increasing sizes to fit inside one another.
- Food huggers are dishwasher-safe and easy to clean.
These ten low-carb kitchen gadgets are a great way to kickstart your practical keto kitchen to get a healthy body with the help of a keto diet.
You can save your time and money by investing in these gadgets. Some of these gadgets are already present in our pantry. Still, others can be bought as keto kitchen gifts for loved ones to encourage a healthier lifestyle or to ourselves as a reward for consistent steps taken to care for our bodies.
Can you use an immersion blender to make bulletproof coffee?
Immersion blenders are a little more high-powered than what coffee-making requires, making the coffee prone to splashing. In contrast, milk frothers are strongly recommended for this purpose; if you must make bulletproof coffee with an immersion blender, use a container of larger diameter and depth to avoid stained clothes and a general mess.
Is it safe to cook with silicone bakeware?
Food-grade silicone used in bakeware and other cookware is FDA-approved for cooking. It is microwave-safe, freezer-safe, and oven-safe. Silicone can stand up to 428 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 degrees Celsius, which does not leach chemicals and contaminate foodstuff while cooking.
When purchasing your digital scale, how accurate must it be?
A digital kitchen scale usually measures in whole grams or ounces. However, digital scales measuring accurately up to 0.1g are suitable for greater precision for baking purposes or weighing coffee grounds.
What vegetables can you make into noodles?
Hard and firm-fleshed vegetables work best with a veggie spiralizer. Zucchini, butternut squash, broccoli, and cucumber are some keto diet-approved vegetables to spiralize for delicious meals. Fruits like apples, citrus fruits, and lemons can also be spiralized in desserts, salads, and garnishes.
Can silicone mats catch on fire?
While silicone is resistant to temperatures up to 428 degrees Fahrenheit, silicone cookware should not be exposed to open flame or direct heat, which can cause it to catch fire.