As a woman, you know that your clothing should lay smooth along your hips. But you may need to realize that the key to achieving this look is finding the right measurement for your hips.
If your clothing is too tight, it will cling to your body and accentuate any imperfections. On the other hand, if your clothing is too loose, it will add bulk and make you look larger than you are. Finding clothing that hugs your curves without being too constricting is the best way to achieve a flattering look.
To do this, you need to know your hip measurement. Once you have this information, you can shop for clothing confidently, knowing that you will find items that fit well and flatter your figure. Wrap a measuring tape around the widest part of your hips and buttocks to measure your hips.
Many people need to realize that their hips are a different size than their waist. This can make a big difference when you’re trying on clothes. If your hips are a different size than your waist, you may need to buy clothes that fit your hips instead of your waist.
Knowing your hip measurements can help you find clothes that fit better and look better on you.
Average Butt Size
Before moving towards the topic, you must know the ideal butt size. There is no specific ideal butt size. An hourglass body shape is considered the perfect shape for women. The ideal butt size is different for different ages. The average hip size for women is about 40.2 inches or 102.2 cm.
While for the men, this size is a bit different. 39.2 inches or 99.6 cm is the average butt size.
Types of Measurement
Here are some types of hip measurements:
Low Hip and High Hip Measurement
When it comes to fashion, a variety of styles can be achieved with different types of clothing. Low and high hip are popular styles that can be achieved with the proper attire. The low hip is when the waistline of the pants or skirts sits lower, while the high hip is when the waistline sits higher on the hips. Both styles can be flattering, depending on the individual’s body type and preference.
How to Measure Hip Circumference?
The low hip measurement is also termed hip circumference. Hip circumference is an essential measurement for those in the medical field. It can be used to determine obesity and track changes in hip size over time.
Measuring hip circumference is a simple process that only requires a tape measure and a few minutes of your time. The doctors use the hip circumference chart also.
Hip Circumference Chart
|Average Hip Size (cm)
|Average Hip Size (in)
Method to Measure Hip Size
Here are methods to measure the hip size for men and women:
For accurate measurement, you will need to follow the measurement process. You must have:
- A full-length mirror
- Measuring tape
- Chalk for marking
- Pen and paper to write the measurement
Now follow the given steps:
- Remove your pants and shirt. If you’re wearing thin undergarments, remove those as well. Stand in front of a mirror.
- Ensure the mirror is at a level where you can see your entire hip area.
- Place a measuring tape at the top of your hip bone by the widest part of your hip.
- Now wrap the measuring tape around your hip area, and make a note of the measurement. This is the measurement of your hip.
- It is tricky to take the measurement in men because the rise part is lower than a man thinks. They don’t have bodies like females. So men first locate the wide hip part by standing in front of the mirror.
- Now wrap the measuring tape around the hip circumference.
- Note the measurement from the port where two ends of tape meet.
You can use the same method for the measurement of hips for jeans.
Waist and hip measurement are two different terms. Most people take the hip measurement from the waist, which is wrong. The hip measurement is always taken from the widest part of the hip below your waist.
A person’s waist-to-hip ratio is the ratio of the circumference of their waist to the circumference of their hips. This ratio is used as an indicator of health and fitness, as it is a good indicator of how much fat is stored in the body.
A high waist-to-hip ratio indicates that a person has a lot of abdominal fat, which can lead to health problems such as:
- Heart disease
A low waist-to-hip ratio indicates that a person has less abdominal fat and is generally considered healthier. You can use waist-to-hip ratio calculators for accurate measurement by yourself. To use this calculator, you just need to specify your gender and measure your waist and hips. Now, put these values in the calculator to know your waist-to-hip ratio!
How to Take Measurements for a Dress?
While taking measurements of any dress, you don’t need to take off your garment. It requires complete body measurements. When taking your measurements for a dress, there are a few key areas you will want to focus on.
- To measure the arm’s full length, take your back measurement by wrapping the measuring tape around it and take the underarms measurement. To measure your bust, you will want to wrap the measuring tape around the fullest part of your chest.
- The second area is your waist. To find your natural waistline, bend to the side until you feel where your waist creases. Then, measure this area with the tape wrapped around snugly.
- The third measurement you will need is for your hips. Take the hip measurement by standing straight. Take this measurement to your feet.
There are a few different ways that you can measure your hips. You can use a measuring tape, or you can use a ruler or yardstick. If you don’t have either of those things, you can always ask a friend to help you measure. Make sure you’re standing up straight and the tape measure is level with the ground.
Emily Smith is a talented content writer, wielding words to create captivating stories and informative articles across a wide range of topics. With a passion for effective communication and a love for research, Emily consistently produces engaging and valuable content. She’s dedicated to conveying ideas clearly and compellingly, making her a sought-after voice in the digital sphere. When not writing, Emily enjoys immersing herself in art, nature, and culinary adventures for fresh bursts of creativity.