Do you want to wear that pretty sleeveless gown at a friend’s wedding or want to flaunt that fairy dress, but your dark armpits are not allowing you to do so? This could be terrible if you have to hide your armpits every time you wear a sleeveless dress.
All the shaving and waxing result in cleaning armpits of unnecessary hairs. Still, if they are of a darker tone, you may get embarrassed in a gathering.
If you want to know how to lighten dark armpits, we are discussing some soothing and skin-lightening effects of baking soda. This is very beneficial for underarms cleansing and enhancing your overall beauty!
Causes behind Dark Armpits
Sometimes, dark underarms can be linked with certain medical conditions. Still, they result primarily from over-shaving, skin-irritating chemicals, or deodorants, which are not friendly for sensitive areas, especially underarms.
Multiplication of Skin Pigment Cells
The pigmentation in the underarms area is due to melanin, a pigment that gives color to the skin. When melanin cells multiply rapidly, they darken certain folded skin areas, including underarms, thighs, groin, etc. This hyperpigmentation is usually caused by melasma or smoking.
The Buildup of Dead Skin Cells
The dark armpits or discoloration of underarms usually occurs due to the pile of dead skin cells, which stay there and make the skin look darker with the heap of skin cells.
Other reasons may involve:
- Frequent underarms waxing
- Frequent underarms shaving
- Use of chemical-based body sprays or deodorants
- Certain bacterial infections
How to Lighten Armpits Fast?
Although dark underarms are not related to health concerns, they can still make you lose confidence. Various medications and exfoliating treatments to get rid of dark underarms fast such as Hydroquinone creams, retinoids cream, chemical peeling, dermabrasion, and laser treatments.
The medical procedures for lightning-dark underarms can be expensive, and most of the time, people feel uncomfortable with medical processes. Fortunately, there are safe and inexpensive ways to brighten your underarms and wear your favorite sleeveless apparel confidently.
Below we have mentioned a few remedies to get rid of dark armpits with baking soda. These will help you brighten the dark tone of your underarms without causing any harm.
Baking Soda – A Natural Remedy
Baking Soda has some excellent exfoliating and cleansing properties. It has been used as a vital skin-brightening ingredient for many years.
The skin experts also suggest that exfoliating with baking soda results in scrubbing the dead skin cells from your underarms and creating a smoother, cleaner, and brighter skin tone.
Skin Benefits of Baking Soda
Although there is no scientifically proven association of baking soda with skin brightening, this ingredient is considered a powerful natural exfoliator based on alkaline properties and does not harm your skin.
- It promotes the fast production of new skin cells and removes dead cells which cause pigmentations.
- It has the property of unclogging the pores.
- It neutralizes the natural body odor by protecting the skin from foul and unpleasant odors.
- It effectively reduces the discoloration in the skin folds, especially the underarms.
How to Lighten Dark Armpits Using Baking Soda?
Various DIY recipes are beneficial in lightening the underarm skin tone using this natural ingredient – baking soda.
1. Using Baking Soda with Water to Lighten Armpits
When combined with water, baking soda lightens the dark armpits and removes the dead skin cells accumulated in the area.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a few water drops and make a paste of thick consistency.
- Apply this paste gently to your underarms and let it rest for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Wash it with lukewarm water.
For fast results, repeat the process twice or thrice a week.
2. Using Baking Soda with Lemon to Lighten Armpits
People usually ask about how to lighten armpits with lemon and baking soda. With this helpful remedy, this query will be answered.
- Take the juice of half a lemon and mix it with one tablespoon of baking soda.
- Apply this paste to your armpits in a circular motion and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash it with tap water.
Lemon is an excellent moisturizer; when combined with baking soda, it exfoliates dead skin cells quickly.
3. Using Baking Soda with Honey to Lighten Armpits
The baking soda and honey scrub do wonders to reduce the underarms and skin’s discoloration and the armpits’ dryness.
- Take one tablespoon of honey and mix it with one tablespoon of baking soda.
- You can also add rose water for a thin consistency.
- Scrub your armpits with this mixture and after 20 minutes
- Wash it with lukewarm water and get the lightened underarms.
4. Using Baking Soda with Cucumber to Lighten Armpits
Cucumber is an excellent ingredient for soothing and smooth skin.
- Take a few slices of cucumber and mash them in a bowl.
- Add one tablespoon baking soda, a few drops of olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Combine the ingredients and leave them on your underarms for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
For better results, repeat it 3-4 times a week.
5. Using Baking Soda and Tomato to Lighten Armpits
Tomato is a natural remedy for glowing skin. When applied on the dark armpits with baking soda, it does wonders in the dark area.
- Mix baking soda with a few drops of tomato juice.
- Massage your armpits with this paste and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off.
This will make your dark underarms look visibly lightened. Here are some skin care tips for healthy and glowing skin!
6. Using Baking Soda and Glycerin to Lighten Armpits
Glycerin has excellent skin cleansing properties and helps lighten the dark underarms fast.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one teaspoon of glycerin and create a thick paste.
- Apply it to your armpits and wash it off after 15 minutes.
Apply this remedy 3 to 4 times a week for underarms cleansing.
Do a Skin Patch Test before Applying Baking Soda to Your Armpits
The human skin is acidic, while baking soda is based on alkaline. Since the skin of the underarms is comparatively more sensitive, it is recommended to do a patch test before applying baking soda to your armpits.
Take a small amount of baking soda and use it on a small area of your forearm. If you observe any irritation, remove the baking soda and do not apply it to your armpits.
Skin experts do not consider baking soda harmful to the skin. However, a patch test is always a good option for super-sensitive skin.
How Long Does It Take to Lighten Dark Armpits with Baking Soda?
Natural remedies take time to show results. Consistency is the key. Keep following the baking soda remedies consistently, and your underarms will show visibly better skin tone within 1 to 2 months. Repeat the remedy you’re trying twice or thrice weekly for better results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is baking soda harmful to the skin?
Baking soda does not produce any potential harmful effects on the skin, but for some people with sensitive skin types, using baking soda can cause temporary redness.
Which medical treatments are available for lightning-dark armpits?
Laser treatment and Dermabrasion are effective medical treatments to lighten dark underarms.
What is Dermabrasion?
Dermabrasion is an exfoliating treatment in which a dermatologist removes the outer skin layers to reduce the pigmented skin area. The treatment is also used to treat acne, scars, or injury marks.
What is Melasma?
Melasma is a skin condition in which dark patches appear on the skin.
How many times should the baking soda remedies be applied for underarms cleansing?
For better and long-lasting results, it is recommended to apply the baking soda remedies 2 to 3 times a week.
Baking soda has been used as an excellent natural exfoliator over the years. Combined with other natural ingredients like honey, lemon juice, cucumber juice, or rose water, it greatly helps lighten the skin tone of darker armpits. Apply your favorite remedy on your underarms and flaunt your sleeveless top without worrying about dark underarms.
Emily Smith is a talented content writer, wielding words to create captivating stories and informative articles across a wide range of topics. With a passion for effective communication and a love for research, Emily consistently produces engaging and valuable content. She’s dedicated to conveying ideas clearly and compellingly, making her a sought-after voice in the digital sphere. When not writing, Emily enjoys immersing herself in art, nature, and culinary adventures for fresh bursts of creativity.